Menu

2/13/2017

Grammar Monopoly and How We Used It


Hello everyone!
Later in 2016 I was scrolling down my Pinterest feed, searching for some grammar activities and I've seen couple of people doing "Grammar Monopoly" and I was interested how it works...
Today I finaly did it! Let me share this awesome expirience with you.
To play the game you need:
  • Monopoly Board (printable field)
  • Monopoly Money (50$, 100$, 200$ and 500$) 
  • Cards with tasks
  • Some dices
  • Little figurines to represent players
I've got blank template of Monopoly Board from HERE and filled it according to what I planned. I decided not to do a "universal" board as I teach in different levels and so I've decided just to keep some blank printables to have more freedom  to move things around.
You can download money template for free here.
We mooved our desks and started to play.

So, at start, you need to position your players on "This way" corner (you can draw start whatever you want). Everyone will roll a dice and make a move. On the field you can draw different kinds of cells. Mine are:
  • blue with "!" -  take "Community Chest" card
  • white with "?" - take "Chance" card
  • red or different coloured stripes on cells with "Hotel/Cafe/Shop/Cinema and ...$"on them - you can buy this cell, so anyone who stops on it will need to pay certain amount of money
  • white with nothing on it - relax ;)
  • blue with "P" - Free Parking (top left corner)- you need to miss a round
  • Jail (top right corner) - you need to miss a round. But you can pay a fine to be out of it (300$)
  • Visiting Jail (bottom right corner)- if you land there 3 times in a game, you go to Jail without  any ability to get out paying the fine.
For all the white cells "for rent",  I prepared some questions. This time I was checking key and extra lexic from unit 3 "I was at the bus stop", so I just asked players each time after throwing the dice to say the past form of irregular verb. If the player said it right, he takes additional 50$.
I changed a set of cards to more suitable, without really changing rules of the game (comment down below if you want to download templates of cards too). For example, for "Chanse" cards we decided to check key vocabulary from previous topics. For "Community Chest" cards I did some cards with different tasks. For example:
1. For 100$ find all the NOUNS in this sentence: I can see a big house and some colorful birds.
2. For 200$ name all the clothes that you wear.
3. For 200$ say, what tense is used in this sentence: I was visiting my grandma before my mum came.
and so on..
Also, if player has a "Chanse" or "Community Chest" card and does not know the answer, he can sell his question at quick auction with other players.
The aim is simple: not to get bankroted, as in regular "Monopoly". 

After all it was great experience and my kids enjoided it a lot. I totally will use it more to have some fun and to challenge my kids more. 
What about you? Did you use any variation of this game and what was your experience?
Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment