Menu

1/23/2017

Learning COUNTRIES can be fun!


Hello, everyone!
Today we had an amazing lesson in 3rd grade, so I decided to share how it went with you.
We started this semester with "Where are you from?"  unit in our book. We talked about different countries and nationalities. There were some new countries to my kids, and they struggled with remembering flag <-> name of the country relation. Here what we did...

First we had a list of our countries:
Core
Ukraine
the USA
the UK
Russia
Thailand
Spain
Egypt
Australia
Brazil
Extra
Poland
Madagaskar
Canada
We used my sorting card to sort them into different groups. Instead of writting them down we used printable flags and some glue to hold it in place.
I sure regret I wasn't taking pictures of my students, it was such a fantastic time! We ended up with something like this:
Then I decided to give them a contour map to find those countries there, colour in colours of the flag or coat of arms and sign them.

Simple, right? But surprisely it worked really well, especially  with those far countries as Thailand,  Egypt and Madagaskar. So I just pinned a big map to a wall and according to our sort page we started searching, writting and coloring...



What do you think? If you use these cards, write the comment about how it was in your classroom ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment